How often do you wash your brushes? We often forget about washing and cleaning them. It is one of the most important things you girls should rigorously follow. Ideally, most makeup experts suggest cleaning them weekly. I count makeup as a big investment and buying makeup brushes is equally expensive. So all you girls, clean your brushes at least every 2 weeks to get that flawless makeup. You can get lot of skin allergies or pimples if you don’t clean your brushes. Think of how much of bacteria you can be dumping on your face daily.
Things you need:
- Baby Shampoo
- Dettol antiseptic or any antiseptic
- Hair conditioner
- Makeup remover
- Bar of Soap
How to clean your brushes:
- Begin by pouring lukewarm water in a mug or any big vessel. The water should not be very hot or cold. Dip your brushes completely in the water expect foundation, lipstick and eyeliner brush. Leave them for 5 minutes.
- Make sure the brushes are wet. Squeeze a small amount of shampoo in a mug and gently swirl your brush tip in the water. Take the each brush individually and swirl the brush in the palm of your hand. Do it for 1-2 minutes until the entire residue from the brush is clean.
- Take the foundation brush and clean it with a bar of soap. You need to clean the foundation brush with soap or shampoo because baby shampoo will not remove the residue. It is mild for foundation brush.
- For lipstick and eyeliner brushes use makeup remover or baby oil. This step should be done for any brush which is stiff with makeup residue. Take a small bowl and dispense 3-4 drops of makeup remover/baby oil. Be very careful while pouring the oil, as you don’t want your brush completely soaked with oil. You just have to break down the residue on the brush. After this step repeat the first step above.
- Now that your brushes are clean, make sure to wash the brushes well. It is one of the most most important steps. Wash them by rinsing the brushes under cold water. Do not pull the bristles and make sure you rinse from base to tip.
- Tip to get soft bristles again. Take small amount of hair conditioner in your hand and apply it on the bristles. Leave them for good 5 minutes. Again wash them properly. If it is slimy continue to wash your brushes until it is clean.
- Now add 2-3 drops (depending on how many brushes you are washing) of dettol antiseptic in a bowl. You can use any antiseptic you have. Soak them for few minutes. This is an integral step in cleaning your brushes. Remember, you are cleaning your makeup brushes with your hands and anything on your hands is being passed to your brushes. All the germs and bacteria. This will disinfect the handles of the brushes as well.
- Once the brushes are clean, begin by removing the excess water by squeezing the brush. Keep them on clean hand towel and fold it. The towel will absorb all the excess water from the brushes.
Tadaaaa your brushes are clean and ready to use. Make sure you air dry them for 4-5 hours.
Keep it clean, keep it stylish!!